Narragansett Bay Maritime Training has designed these courses on years of knowledge at being at sea, We also back our training by offering to the student free refresher training on the courses they sign up for and pass. This means that if you pass the OUPV, You can come back and sit in on future classes to refresh your memory. Feel free to contact Captain Mike to further discuss.
OUPV Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels
The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) License is commonly referred to as a 6-Pack License.
For the purpose of the OUPV endorsement, an uninspected passenger vessel is a vessel of less than 100 GRT (about 65 feet) carrying six or fewer passengers for hire. It is quite popular and can be endorsed with Master’s Upgrades rated by tonnage of 25 Gross Tons, 50 GT, or 100 GT increments. The Master’s upgrade allows the holder to operate inspected vessels as well as uninspected ones. The total number of passengers is limited to six or fewer. Non U.S. citizens may be restricted to undocumented vessels with a 5 net ton limit.
Typically, an OUPV Credential is used in the context of small-scale fishing boats, SCUBA boats, whale-watching, and the like.
This course is USCG approved for candidates applying for their Six-Pack – Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) License.
To obtain an OUPV Credential, 360 days’ experience on Inland or Near Coastal waters is required. Of the 360 total days:
- 90 days must be within the last 3 years
- 90 days must be on Great Lakes if the applicant wants to obtain a Great Lakes Rating on the license
- 90 days must be on Near Coastal waters to obtain a Near Coastal Rating, which also qualifies for Inland and the Great Lakes.
Course is 56 hours
Mondays through Fridays 1700-2200 Sat / Sun 0800-1730
April (new class)
13th 0800-1700 8 hours
14th 0800-1700 8 hours
18th 1700-2200 5 hours
20th 0800-1700 8 hours
21st 0800-1700 8 hours
25th 1700-2200 5 hours
27th 0800-1730 8 hours
28th 0800-1730 8 hours test in the afternoon
Upgrade to Master 100 Gross Tons
This course is for upgrading an existing OUPV License (6-pack) to a 25-ton, 50-ton or 100-ton Masters License.
It can also be taken in conjunction with the OUPV course to apply for the Masters License.
Course is 24 hours and runs for three consecutive days.
Contact us for course dates
March 11,12,13 0800-1700
Commercial Assistance Towing
Any USCG OUPV (6-Pack) or Master licensed captain up to 200 tons, who wishes to assist disabled vessels for a fee must have a Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement added to his or her license.
4 hours of classroom lectures
Auxiliary Sail Endorsement For Master / Mate 100 Gross Tons
Participants successfully completing this training course will be capable of undertaking all of the responsibilities expected of an officer of the watch within their field of expertise. Students will know the responsibility and understand the importance factor of the safety aspect sailing and the responsibilities it carries the principal aim is to develop individual trainer attributes.
Course is 4 hours of classroom training
Basic First Aid, CPR and AED training
Our First Aid CPR AED is a video-based, instructor-led course that teaches students critical skills needed to respond to and manage an emergency until emergency medical services arrives. Skills covered in this course include first aid; choking relief in adults, children, and infants; and what to do for sudden cardiac arrest in adults, children, and infants.
This course is a total of 8 hours of training and be substantially similar to IMO Model Course 1.13. Course will include appropriate assessments of competence for STCW Code Table A-VI/1-3. For students that will be USCG approved for candidates applying for a US Merchant Mariners license or for a renewal. A mariner who successfully completes the course will satisfy the following requirements:
- Elementary First Aid per STCW Code Table A-VI/1-3;
- Elementary First Aid per 46 CFR 11.302(a)(3) and 46 CFR12.602(a)(3); and
- The first aid and CPR training requirements of 46 CFR 11.201(i)(1).
Course is 8 hours
100 Ton Master
Requirements For Master License
Master of Vessels on Not More Than 100 Gross Registered Tons
- 90 days service in the last 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage.
- Near Coastal: 720 days of service steam, motor, or auxiliary sail vessels on ocean or near coastal waters (360 days inland is acceptable)
- Great Lakes and Inland: 360 days service steam, motor, sail/aux. sail vessels including 90 days on Great Lakes waters
- Inland: 360 days service steam, motor, aux. sail vessels on any waters
- Rivers: 360 days service steam, motor, aux. sail vessels on any waters
- Sailing Endorsement: Must submit evidence of 360 days of service on sail or auxiliary sail vessels (service obtained before license OK).
- Towing Endorsement: Must request and pass towing endorsement examination or complete course.
Rules of the Road Refresher
Participants successfully completing the refresher course for Navigational Rules of the Road will be capable of undertaking all of the responsibilities expected of a watch officer within their field of expertise. Students will know the responsibility and understand the importance factor of the safety aspect of being the Watch officer of the vessel they are on. The principal aim is to develop individual trainer attributes.
The Rules of the Road Refresher course is directed at prompting the knowledge, skills and attitudes, which the watch officer should possess, so he maintain a safe navigational watch
The Student will learn the Skills below relating to:
- Basic Principles Watchkeeping
- COLREGS , Inland and International Navigation Rules, Basic Principles watchkeeping, Navigation Safety Regs ( 33cfr 164)
- Our course teaches and assesses COLREGs in-line with the IMO International regulations for preventing collisions at sea in an easy and user-friendly manner with a clear interpretation and better understanding of the rules. The course demonstrates various situations between vessels and clearly explains which rules should be applied by the mariners.
Course is 16 hours
Course Dates: Contact us to set up dates